Candidates should Questions 1 and 2 which are compulsory, and any three of the remaining questions selecting at least one question from each Section. All questions carry equal marks. Illustrate your answer with suitable sketch-maps and diagrams.
1. On the outline map of India provided, mark the following and write in not more than ten words in your answer-book, what you consider to be the most significant aspect of each one of them :
(a) Hirakund Dam
(b) Konkan Coast
(c) Satpura Range
(d) Narmada River
(e) Lava Region
(f) Paradip Port
(i) Chilka Lake
On the World map provided, mark the following and write in not more than ten words in your answer-book, what you consider to be the most significant aspect of each one of them :
(a) Caspian Sea
(b) Hwang Ho River
(c) Gulf of Oman
(d) Madagascar Island
(e) Appalachian Mountain
(f) Gibson Desert
(g) Sicily Island
(h) Palk Strait
(i) Dogger Bank
(j) Amazon River
2. Write short notes on any three of the following (each answer should be in about 200 words) :
(a) Soil genesis
(b) Geomorphic processes
(c) Locational Triangle
(d) Types of Farming
3. Discuss the concept of volcanicity and show how the theory of Plate Tectonics explains the mechanism of volcanism and volcanic eruptions.
4. Discuss the nature and composition of earth's atmosphere.
5. Explain and illustrate the submarine relief of the Atlantic Ocean.
6. What is understood by quantification in Geography ? Discuss the significance of quantification in modern geographical studies with examples.
7. Explain the term resource management. Discuss its relevance in the context of global resource scarcity and the future of mankind.
8. Examine the impact of advanced agricultural technology on environment. Support your answer with examples
Paper - II: Geography - 1998 (Mains)
Candidates should Questions 1and 5 which are compulsory, and any three of the remaining questions selecting at least one question from each Section. All questions carry equal marks. Illustrate your answers with suitable sketch-maps and diagrams.
1. Answer any three of the following in about 200 words each
(a) Evaluate the feasibility of the proposed Ganga-Cauveri drainage link.
(b) Discuss the role of institutional factors in the efficiency and productivity of agriculture in India.
(c) Examine the resources of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
(d) Bring out the present-day position of exploitation and processing of nuclear minerals in India.
2. Critically examine the problems and prospects of tribal areas in India.
3. Discuss the cropping patterns in different agricultural regions of India.
4. Examine the pattern of distribution and mode of exploitation of bauxite in India.
5. Answer any three of the following in about 200 words each
(a) Examine the importance of industrial estates in India.
(b) Discuss the geographical control of rural settlement pattern in India.
(c) Explain the role of railways as a unifying factor in Indian economy.
(d) Discuss the geopolitical importance of Indian Ocean area.
6. Bring out the trends in the development of fertilizer industry in India.
7. Discuss the concept of city region and referring to Indian cities, examine critically functional indicators used for delimiting the city region.
8. Discuss the role of languages in regional consciousness and national integration in India.