IAS Mains Previous Years Paper : Public Administration (2002)
1. Answer any three of the following in not more than 200 words each: (20 x 3 = 60)
(a) "Though there are certain points of similarity between public and private administration yet no private organization can ever be exactly the name as a public one". Examine.
(b) "Civil society exists to ensure that government does provide good governance." Discuss.
(c) "Public corporations are not an end in themselves but an extension of the government activities designed to promote public welfare." - Substantiate.
(d) "dicey was wrong not only in his concept of the rule of law, but he also overlooked the significance of the administrative law". - Comment.
2. Describe the evolution of the discipline of public administration with special emphasis on post - 1970 developments. (60)
3. Explain the contribution of George Elton Mayo to the development of the Human relations school. How did behavioral scientist modify his basic findings? (60)
4. Compare Abraham Maslow's theory of motivation and Herzberg's motivation-hygiene theory. Do you think that they are universally applicable? If so, why? If not, why not? (60)
5. Answer any three of the following in not more than 200 words each: (20 x 3 = 60)
(a) "Development administration is concerned with maximizing innovation for development." - Discuss.
(b) "Public policy is what politics is about". - Substantiate.
(c) The doctrine of political neutrality and anonymity is no more relevant to modern civil service." - Comment.
(d) "Auditing in Government is an exercise in post-mortem". - Examine.
6. Analyze the constitutional political and operational dimensions of employer-employee relations. What are your suggestions to bring about a satisfactory relationship between them? (60)
7. How did Fred W. Riggs conceptualize the interactions between administration systems and their environment? (60)
8. Examine the government budget as an instrument of public policy and a local legislative control? (60)
SECTION - A
1. Comment on any three of the following in not more than 200 words each: (3 x 20 = 60)
(a) "The value premises of our constitution in the era of global constitutionalism."
(b) Indian federalism is described as federal in form but unitary in spirit.
(c) "Rural and urban development programs have gained in importance, but implementation has been a failure."
(d) "The rule of public sector has been changing tremendously in the context of liberalization.
2. "After independence, despite the change in socio-economic and political milieu, the basic features of colonial impact on administration continues to exist in our administrative system." Comment. (60)
3. (a) The central secretariat is a policy formulating, coordinating and supervisory agency besides being the principal executive agency of the government." - Explain (30)
(b) "Collector is the representative of the state government in the district and also represents public interest". Comment (30).
4. The role of local self-government in the state administration is of considerable importance. Evaluate the statement in the context of the 73rd and 74th amendments made. (60).
SECTION - B
5. Comment on any three of the following in not more than 200 words each:
(a) "All Indian service is an institution - is the result of history".
(b) "The role of comptroller and auditor general is a limited one."
(c) "National development council has virtually become a super-cabinet and tries to arrogate itself the functions of parliament.
(d) "Public undertakings no longer occupy commanding heights".
6. "the machinery for welfare administration at the national and state level trickling down to grassroots becomes meaningless in the context of global constitutionalism. - Discuss (60)
7. (a) "Culturally sanctioned values and symbols have acted as important influencing catalyst in administration". Elaborate (30)
(b) The problem of administrative improvement in India are longer and more complex than in any other country in the world". Comment (30)
8. "Women's development programs of recent have shifted from welfarist approach to empowerment of women". Elaborate (60).