IFS - Indian Forest Service Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Sciences Previous Year Paper (2007)
Paper - 1 : SECTION - A
1. Write short notes on any four of the following in not more than 150 words each: (10 × 4 = 40)
(a) Mineral requirement of a lactating cow
(b) Synchronization of oestrus in a cow
(c) Restricted selection index
(c) Effect of photoperiod in poultry production
(e) Economic poultry farming
2. What are the various systems of housing poultry in India ? Describe their merits and demerits. Which system of poultry housing will you recommend to poultry farmers in India and why? (40)
3. What is heterosis and what is its genetic basis ? How can heterosis be advantageously used in various methods of breeding? (40)
4. Discuss the requirements of proteins, amino acids, energy, minerals, trace elements, vitamins and water for fattening pigs. (40)
5. Write short notes on any four of the following in not more than 150 words each : (10 × 4 = 40)
(a) Recombinant DNA technology
(b) Management of dairy animals to overcome he heat stress
(c) Inter-relationship of calcium, phosphorus and vitamin D
(d) Milk 'let-down' and 'holding-up'
(e) Difference between 'safes and 'clear' milk.
6. Write a brief note on the animal feed sources of the country. What strategy would you adopt for feeding of livestock under severe drought conditions so as to maintain the health of livestock? (40)
7. What is Inbreeding? How is coefficient of inbreeding calculated? Discuss the merits and demertis of inbreeding. How can you control inbreeding in existing artificial insemination programme ? What constraints will you come across and how will you overcome those? (40)
8. (a) Compare dairying under mixed farming and dairying under specialised farming. Which one of these is best suited to an average Indian farmer and why? (30)
(b) What is herd recording? (10)
PAPER - II : SECTION A
1. Write short notes on any four of the following in about 150 words each : (10 × 4 = 40)
(a) Twins and twinning
(b) Blood cell formation
(c) Renal failure
(d) Environmental pollution
(e) Animal welfare.
2. Give an account of the surface anatomy of visceral organs of thoracic, abdominal and pelvic cavities. (40)
3. (a) Explain the pathogenesis, symptoms, postmortem lesions, diagnosis, and treatment of foot and mouth disease.
(b) Discuss the programmes being implemented for control of foot and mouth disease in India. (20 × 2 = 40)
4. (a) Define and classify zoonoses. (40)
(b) Discuss the epidemiological measures in the study of Zoonotic diseases and their control. (20 × 2 = 40)
5. Write short notes on any four of the following in about 150 words each :
(a) Pasteurised milk
(b) Rabbit meat
(c) Technology generation
(d) Physical and chemical characteristics of meat
(e) Duties and functions of veterinarians in wholesome meat production. (10 × 4 = 40)
6. (a) How do you assess the quality storage grades of whole milk, skimmed milk and cream?
(b) Explain the processing, packaging, storage and marketing of sterilised milk. (20 × 2 = 40)
7. (a) Give an account of marketing of chicken, eggs and their products in our country.
(b) Discuss how it can be improved. (20 × 2 = 40)
8. (a) Explain the different extension methods adopted to educate farmers under our rural conditions.
(b) Discuss their relative merits and demerits. (20 × 2 = 40)