IAS Mains Previous Years Paper : Agriculture (2007)
PAPER - I
1. Write short notes on any three of the following in about 200 words each: (20 x 3 = 60)
(c) Soil pollution
(d) N-use-efficiency S. N- utilization-efficiency
2. Differentiate between mixed cropping & inter-cropping. Give types of inter-cropping. Discuss the criteria for evaluation of the advantage of inter-cropping & suggest the best one. (60)
3. Elaborate the constraints of pulse production in India. Suggest suitable strategies to overcome these constraints. (60)
4. Define marginal & small farmers. Give a list of (a) Non-monetary inputs & (b) Low cost inputs technology useful for these farmers, Discuss in detail two each from (a) & (b) list. (60)
5. Write short notes on any three of the following in about 200 words each:
(20 x 3 = 60 )
(a) Contract farming
(b) Crop biotechnology
(d) Precision in agriculture
6. Define integrated weed management. Suggest integrated weed management for rice - wheat, and groundnut - pigeon pea, inter-cropping systems. (60)
7. Write in tabular form the recommended package of practices viz., sowing time, seed rate, spacing, irrigation and weed control schedule of sugarcane, potato, chick pea, soybean and transplanted rice for higher production. (60)
8. Discuss in brief any four of the following: (15 x 4 = 60)
(a) Method of demonstration
(b) Farm mechanization
(c) Farm planning and budgeting
(d) Farmers and research linkages
(e) Factors of production
PAPER - II
1. Answer any THREE of the following, each in about 200 words: (20 x 3 = 60)
(a) What is seed? Discuss different types of seed.
(b) Describe the specific features of C4 plants. How they differ from C3 type?
(c) Write down the need and benefits of biotechnology,
(d) Describe the diffusion phenomenon involved in water relation of crops.
2. Answer the following (20 x 3 = 60)
(a) What are ENZYMES? Discuss their mode of acton in plant system?
(b) Discuss the technique of clonal selection in crop breeding.
(c) What is dormancy of seed? How it is managed?
3. Answer the following:
(a) What is isolation distance? Describe its need in seed production of different crops. (20)
(b) Describe the photoperiodism in crop plants. (20)
(c) Discuss about Back Cross and Test Cross. (20)
4. Distinguish between the following:
(a) Endospermic and Non-endospermic seed. (20)
(b) Short-day and Long-day plants. (20)
(c) Certified and Truthfully labelled seed. (20)
5. Answer any THREE of the following, each in about 200 words: (3 x 20 = 60)
(a) Describe different techniques of I. P.M. (Integrated Pest Management).
(b) Describe role of Auxins in the growth and development of crop plants.
(c) Discuss about Post-Harvest 'losses in fruits. Describe the technology to minimize the losses in Mango.
(d) Describe Biopesticides and their use in Agriculture.
6. Answer the following:- (20 x 3 = 60)
(a) Describe the techniques of Nursery raising, Manuring and Pest control for successful cultivation of Papaya.
(b) Describe the climatic requirement, seed rate, nursery sowing and disease control measures for Sweet Pepper Cultivation.
(c) Describe the IPM technique for Mango.
7. Answer the following:
(a) Discuss about Planting material, Irrigation, Manuring and Harvesting of Gladioli. (20)
(b) Differentiate between Pesticide and Insecticide. (20)
(c) Discuss Post-Harvest Management of Citrus. (20)
8. Write short notes on: (20 x 3 = 60)
(b) Fursarium Wilt
(c) Mango Mealy Bug.