Draft National Water Framework Bill, 2016 released
A D V E R T I S E M E N T
The Union Ministry of Water Resources on 16 May 2016 released the Draft National Water Framework Bill, 2016 to invite comments and suggestions from public.
Highlights of Draft National Water Framework Bill, 2016
Right to Water for Life: Every person has a right to sufficient quantity of safe water for life within easy reach of the household.
• Water as a Common heritage and Resource, held in public trust
• River rejuvenation: The appropriate government shall strive towards rejuvenating river systems with community participation, ensuring Aviral Dhara - continuous flow in time and space including maintenance of connectivity of flow in eachriver system, Nirmal Dhara - unpolluted flow so that the quality of river waters is not adversely affected by human activities and Swachh Kinara – clean and aesthetic river banks.
• Sustaining ecosystems dependent on water
• People-centered water management
• Appropriate treatment and use of wastewater
• Standards for water quality and water footprints
• Water use prioritisation
• Preparation of water security plans
• Integrated River Basin Development and Management
• Groundwater Conservation, Protection, Regulation and Management
• Flood mitigation and management
• Drought mitigation and management
• Water pricing and water regulators
• Sectoral use of water
• Water resources information system: The Central Government shall develop and maintain a publicly available web based Water Resources Information System (IndiaWRIS) on Geographical Information System Platform.
• Inter-state river water disputes: Appropriate institutional arrangements shall be established at all levels within the State and beyond up to an inter-State river-basin, to obviate and/or resolve emerging inter-State river-water disputes.