Job security is one of our main concerns with these difficult times that we are in. With this, police recruitment is calling to all who are interested in a secured job. Crime rates are increasing steadily today and police officers are forever in demand. The reason for the increase in crime rate is not because the police officers are incompetent. It is just that there seems to be more criminals than police officers. It is as if with every criminal put to jail, more keep on emerging.
There are a considerably high number of people who apply to become a police officer but there are only a few who pass. Approximately 60,000-65,000 people apply very year but less than 7,000 pass. The less than 7,000 account for 25% of all those who applied and pass and the other 75% either apply for another job or wait for six months before they re-apply for the police force. The tests can be really hard and the 75% may have been caught unprepared or may have been less prepared than the others. Most of the time, a lot of those who apply on hope that upon filling up the application they cross their fingers and hope for the best. If we take into consideration the sudden increase of applicants due to the financial crisis then the competition is really hard and should not be left to hopes.
You cannot escape the competition because the job does not have that much requirement. Aside from the tests or the recruitment process, no other requirement will be asked of you. Height does not have a minimum nor have a maximum. Formal education is not even needed for you to be a police officer. One way to get ahead of the competition is to be prepared. Read as much information as you can and take police recruitment courses before you even attempt to fill up an application. It will all be worth it when you pass the tests.
After successfully filling up the application form you will be undertaking tests step by step in the recruitment process. You will be carefully tested both physically and mentally. You will be evaluated on seven areas: diversity, community and customer focus, problem solving, effective communication, resilience, team working and personal responsibility. Your success in the application form will push you to the next steps which will be done in the assessment center where the skill areas mentioned above will be tested three times. You should understand Race and Diversity very well if you want to become a police officer as it will be tested in every exercise.
Being a police officer can be a very fulfilling job. Aside from the fact that police officers are well-paid with benefits, it is also a chance for you to help your community. Police officers are expected to keep the community secured and regulate anti-social behavior. You will earn the respect of the members of your community as you will have a very challenging job. Also, if you become a police officer, you will have a break from the monotone of a 9-5 job. Your job will never be boring.