Part 1 Art. 1 to art. 4
- Article 1- Name and territory of the union.
- Article 2 Admission and Establishment of the new state.
- Article 3 Formation of new states and alteration of areas, boundaries, and name of existing states.
Part 2 Art. 5 to art. 11
- Article 5 Citizenship at the commencement of the constitution.
- Article 6- Rights of citizenship of certain person who have migrated to India from Pakistan.
- Article 10- continuance of rights of citizenship.
- Article 11- Parliament to regulate the right of citizenship by law.
Part 3 Art.12 to art.35
- Article 12- Definition of the state
- Article 13 Laws inconsistent with or in derogation of the fundamental rights.
- Originally, constitution provided for 7 basic fundamental rights, now there is only six rights, one Right to property U/A 31 was deleted from the list of fundamental rights by 44th amendment act 1978. It made a legal right U/A 300-A in Part XII of the constitution.
Some important Fundamental Rights are as:
Right to Equality: Art. 14 to Art. 18
- Article 14- Equality before the law.
- Article 15- Prohibition of discrimination on the grounds of religion, race, caste, sex. Or place of birth.
- Article 16- Equality of opportunity in matters of public employment.
- Article 17- Abolition of the un-touchability.
- Article 18- Abolition of titles
Right to Freedom: Art. 19 to art. 22
Art.19 guarantees to all the citizens the six rights
- · (a) Right to freedom of speech and expression.
- · (b) Right to assemble peacefully and without arms.
- · (c) Right to form associations or unions.
- · (d) Right to move freely throughout the territory of India.
- · (e) Right to reside and settle in any part of the territory of India.
- · (f) Right to practice any profession or to carry on any occupation, trade, and business.
- Article 20- Protection in respect of conviction for offences.
- Article 21-Protection of life and personal liberty.
- Article 22- Protection against arrest and detention in certain cases.
Right against Exploitation: Art.23 & art. 24
- Article 23- Prohibition of traffic in human beings and forced labour.
- Article 24- Prohibition of employment of children in factories and mines. Under age of 14.
Right to Freedom of Religion: Art.25 to art. 28
- Article 25- Freedom of conscience and free profession , practice and propagation of religion.
- Article 26- Freedom to manage religious affairs.
- Article 27- Freedom as to pay taxes for promotion of any particular religion.
- Article 28- Freedom from attending religious instruction.
Cultural and Educational Rights:Art.29 & art. 30
- Article 29- Protection of interest of minorities.
- Article 30- Right of minorities to establish and administer educational institutions.
- Article 32- Remedies for enforcement of Fundamental Rights.
Part.4 Directive Principal of states Policy: Art 36 to art. 51
- Article 36- Definition
- Article 37- Application of DPSP
- Article 39A- Equal justice and free legal aid
- Article 40- Organisation of village panchayat
- Article 41- Right to work , to education, and to public assistance in certain cases
- Article 43- Living Wages, etc. for Workers.
- Article 43A- Participation of workers in management of industries.
- Article 44- Uniform civil code.( applicable in Goa only)
- Article 45- Provision for free and compulsory education for children.
- Article 46- Promotion of educational and economic interest of scheduled castes, ST,and OBC.
- Article 47-Duty of the state to raise the level of nutrition and the standard of living and to improve public heath.
- Article 48-Organisation of agriculture and animal husbandry.
- Article 49- Protection of monuments and places and objects of natural importance.
- Article 50- Separation of judiciary from executive.
- Article 51- Promotion of international peace and security.
Fundamental Duties: Part IV-A- Art 51A
· It contains, originally 10 duties, now it contains 11 duties by 86th amendments act 2002.
Part 5 Union ( 52-151)
- Article 52- The President of India
- Article 53- Executive Power of the union.
- Article 54- Election of President
- Article 61- Procedure for Impeachment of the President.
- Article 63- The Vice-president of India.
- Article 64- The Vice-President to be ex-officio chairman the council of States.
- Article 66-Election of Vice-president.
- Article 72-Pardoning powers of President.
- Article 74- Council of minister to aid and advice President.
- Article 76- Attorney-General for India.
- Article 79- Constitution of Parliament
- Article 80- Composition of Rajya Sabha.
- Article 81- Composition of Lok Sabha.
- Article 83- Duration of Houses of Parliament.
- Article 93- The speakers and Deputy speakers of the house of the people.
- Article 105- Powers, Privileges,etc of the House of Parliament.
- Article 109- Special procedure in respects of money bills
- Article 110- Definition of "Money Bills".
- Article 112- Annual Financial Budget.
- Article 114-Appropriation Bills.
- Article 123- Powers of the President to promulgate Ordinances during recess of parliament.
- Article 124- Establishment of Supreme Court.
- Article 125- Salaries of Judges.
- Article 126- Appointment of acting Chief justice.
- Article 127- Appointment of ad-hoc judges.
- Article 128-Attendance of retired judge at sitting of the Supreme Court.
- Article 129- Supreme court to be court of Record.
- Article 130- Seat of the Supreme court.
- Article 136- Special leaves for appeal to the Supreme Court.
- Article 137- Review of judgement or orders by the Supreme court.
- Article 141-Decision of the Supreme Court binding on all the courts.
- Article 148- Comptroller and Auditor- General of India
- Article 149- Duties and Powers of CAG.
Part 6 States ( 152-237)
- Article 153- Governors of State
- Article 154- Executive Powers of Governor.
- Article 161- Pardoning powers of the Governor.
- Article 165- Advocate-General of the State.
- Article 213- Power of Governor to promulgate ordinances.
- Article 214- High Courts for states.
- Article 215- High Courts to be court of record.
- Article 226- Power of High Courts to issue certain writs.
- Article 233- Appointment of District judges.
- Article 235- Control over Sub-ordinate Courts.
Part 7 238 Repealed
Part 8 239-242 Union Territories
Part 9 243-243 O Panchayats
- Article 243A- Gram Sabha
- Article 243B- Constitution of Panchayats
Part 9A 243 P-243 ZG Municipalities
Part 10 : Scheduled and Tribal Areas -244
Part 11 : Center- State Relations 245 263
Part 12 : Finance, Property, Contracts and Suits (264 300A)
- Article 266- Consolidated Fund and Public Accounts Fund
- Article 267- Contingency Fund of India
- Article 280- Finance Commission
- Article 300-A- Right to property.
Part 13 : Trade, Commerce and Intercourse within the territories of India (301-307)
- Article 301-Freedom to trade, commerce, and intercourse.
- Article 302- Power of Parliament to impose restrictions on trade, commerce, and intercourse.
Part 14 : Services Under Center and State (308-323)
- Article 312- All- India-Service.
- Article 315- Public service commissions for the union and for the states
- Article 320- Functions of Public Service Commission.
Part 14A : Tribunals (323 A 323 B)
- Article 323A- Administrative Tribunals
Part 15 : Elections (324 329)
- Article 324-Superintendence, direction and control of Elections to be vested in an Election Commission.
- Article 325- No person to be ineligible for inclusion in or to claim to be included in a special, electoral roll on grounds of religion, race, caste, or sex.
- Article 326- Elections to the house of the people and to the legislative assemblies of states to be on the basis of adult suffrage.
Part 16 : Special Provisions to SC, ST, OBC, Minorities etc (330 -342)
- Article 338- National Commission for the SC, & ST.
- Article 340- Appointment of a commission to investigate the conditions of backward classes.
Part 17 : Official Language (343- 351)
- Article 343- Official languages of the Union.
- Article 345- Official languages or languages of a states.
- Article 348- Languages to be used in the Supreme Court and in the High Courts.
- Article 351-Directive for development of the Hindi languages.
Part 18 : Emergency (352-360)
- Article 352- Proclamation of emergency ( National Emergency).
- Article 356- State Emergency (President's Rule)
- Article 360- Financial Emergency
Part 19 : Miscellaneous (361-367)
- Article 361- Protection of President and Governors
Part 20 : Amendment of Constitution (368)
- Article 368- Powers of Parliaments to amend the constitution.
Part 21 : Special, Transitional and Temporary Provisions (369 392)
- Article 370 Special provision of J&K.
- Article 371A Special provision with respect to the State of Nagaland
- Article 371-J: Special Status for Hyderabad-Karnataka region
Part 22 : Short Text, Commencement, Authoritative Text in Hindi and Repeals (392 395)
- Article 393 Short title This Constitution may be called the Constitution of India.